Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Notes To My Future Self:"

(written in March)
"Notes To My Future Self:"

ACCOMPLISHMENT FOR THE YEAR: Macrae is FINALLY going on the potty. I had asked her a few weeks ago,
"Why do you go in your pull-ups? Why won't you go on the potty?" She answered...
"Because you change me."
Oh. WOW. Outsmarted by a toddler. I felt incredibly stupid. She is doing well now. It would be a WHOLE lot more exciting if I could tell you that she NEVER has accidents.....BUT, she does. *sigh* At least she's FINALLY starting telling us SOMETIMES when she needs to go. At first we had to set a timer every 30 MINUTES! AHHHHHHHHHH! IT WAS AWFUL! Between the three of them, I was attending to someones behind every few seconds. But, now we can set it every hour and a half. I'm trying to explain to her about telling me when she "feels" it. She usually will just pick these random times to tell me, no doubt when I'm up to my elbows in something else, and she'll walk up,
"MOMMA! I NEED TO GO TO THE POTTY!"
And I'll squeal, drop what I'm doing, (or who I'm doing it to), pick her up, and RUN to the bathroom. When I put her on it...............nothing. So, I'll ask her,
"I thought you have to go potty?" And she'll say,
"I do, but it's not ready to come out now."
TRANSLATION: "I DON'T, BUT YOU TOLD ME TO TELL YOU, so I'M TELLING YOU. I don't quite grasp the WHEN part of telling you. It's your stupid suggestion, it CLEARLY makes NO sense."
So, now I say, "Is it about to come out?"
That works SOMETIMES. But it doesn't always.
DEFLATING THE ACCOMPLISHMENT: I'm just not sure how much headway we're making, since she looked at me and said,
"So, when can I go back to wearing pull-ups again?" I am SOOO not looking forward to potty training the twins. Ahhh, the twins. They are another story entirely. Actually, right now, Reid and Lily Belle are sitting in their high chairs eating cheerios. Really, I should say that they're sitting in their high chairs eating a third of the cheerios, and flinging the other two thirds onto the kitchen floor. Oh, and of course, they are also stealing each others cheerios. Each thinks I secretly gave the other one the BETTER tasting cheerios. Some days, when one has worn me out more than another one, I think if I HAD better tasting cheerios, I probably would. Now that there's a buffet on the floor, I SHOULD be cleaning...the house is a TOTAL DISASTER.
RE-ITERATE POINT: There is only ONE clean room in this house...SERIOUSLY. That room, is the playroom. Does that make sense to you? Doesn't logic say THAT should be the MESSY room? The room where one PLAYS? NO. Of course not. All mothers know, the playroom is simply a warehouse to keep the toys in, so the kids can go in, select a toy, or two, or a thousand, and DRAG THEM into the REST of the house. You also have to make sure to leave a trail of little toys to whatever room you're going to. How else will you find your way back? After all, we did use to have a pet...I'm sure we'll locate it eventually. EVERY OTHER ROOM IS DISGUSTING. *sigh* It's just so annoying, because cleaning when you still have three preschoolers, is like trying to keep your yard neat during a tornado--it just ain't gonna happen. That is, however, another tirade.
HOW DID NOAH PULL IT OFF?: Was there originally a whole village full of people on the ark? With all the sets of two-somes, and in such close quarters, did the other people lose their minds and fling themselves off the ark? So, anyway, back to the twins. They're currently into one-upping. Lily Belle LOVES to pull everything off the bookshelves. It doesn't matter that I bought baskets, filled them with their toys, and placed them on the bottom shelves.
STUPID HGTV PEOPLE DIDN'T HAVE THREE KIDS IN TWO YEARS: Their organization ideas suck. Dumping out baskets is only slightly fun. Reid and Lily figured out ways to weasel all of Macrae's books off the SECOND shelves--taking a page out here and there. Now that they can pull up, they're working on the third to the bottom shelves.
SOLUTION: give them their OWN board books to demolish
FLAW IN PLAN/IGNORANT ASSUMPTION: thinking it was the books that they wanted
REAL DESIRE: to simply pull and fling things
REAL SOLUTION: get annoyed, and then still pick up books 234953537573 times a day.
If one doesn't think of it, the other one does. Now Reid has figured out that under the area rug, is a sticky foam thing that keeps the rug anchored to the floor. If you pull on the foam thing with all your little baby-super-human-strength, you can tear little pieces off and make them into SNACKS. They have their own little fiesta with the rug. Lily already discovered that under chairs or couches, you can rake your hand underneath, and find lots of dust, lint, and crumb snacks. She made sure to clue in Reid on this discovery. No, I know what you're thinking, and vaccuming does NOT solve that problem. My mother told me the same thing. All it does, is take them a little bit longer in finding the hoursdevores. They simply resort to pulling pieces off of the carpet. Supposedly our hardwood floors are going to be installed in two weeks. That cannot come soon enough. By then, they will probably have eaten the baseboards.
OUTCOME: Using living room fuzzies, now they fix their own lunches, and I'm trying to decide if this is really THAT bad...or just helpful. Reid found out recently that if you push hard enough, and at the right angle, again with your inhuman-baby-strength, you can knock down the baby gate.
NEW GAME: THEN if one crawls one way, and the other crawls the other way, and VERY quietly, they can not only escape, but play a fun trick on Mom. Now Lily Belle runs point, and looks out for me, while he pushes his head into the "weak" spot on the baby gate. Chris says this is payback for putting Reid in pink, fluffy, ribbon and lace pajamas that had little hot pink unicorns on it. HEY, HE'S JUST SLEEPING IN IT. If HE wants to always wear "MANLY PAJAMAS" to bed, then HE needs to not destroy the ones with "Testosterone Rules" written across the chest. (Okay, that was an exaggeration, but Carters could save a lot of effort and just print that on boy's pjs. People try to buy the most "boyish" clothes possible.)
PAINFUL DISCOVERY: Unfortunately for Reid, Lily has discovered that Reid will drop whatever toy he has, and give it to her immediately, if she pulls on his eye lid. This also works with clawing his eyes, nose, ears, mouth, any exposed skin. We can't feel too sorry for Reid, because this was a discovery Lily Belle was forced to make. With his He-man powers, he's so much stronger than her, he figured out he could just lay or sit on her, and she's bound to drop her toy. It has taken her a few weeks to launch her counter attack, but it has proved pretty effective. We try to let her get one good smack in before we go rescue Reid. It's called payback for all the sitting on her that he does.
CONCLUSION: I'm tired, the house is a mess, the kids are fussing, everyone probably has an issue with their bottoms right now, and I forgot to eat again.
FINAL THOUGHTS: I read somewhere, and I completely agree, that,
"In having children, I have LOST MY MIND, but FOUND MY SOUL."

No comments: