Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Orphaned" (poetry)

"Orphaned"

I'm busy with the business of becoming me,
But your eyes have a tangible pain that slices through.
I surface and stumble with my mediocrity
While your cries echo through hearts entombed.
You just want a reason to simply rejoice,
They have achievements, crowns, and no gratitude.
I desperately can't be numb to your voice,
But it's hard to fight the "Me" attitude.
I see you in pictures eyes swollen with fear,
So I turn the TV, the page, or the thought.
Hungry, aborted, beaten, enslaved to tears,
There's a myriad of evils this world has wrought.
They're too busy to care about those with your face.
They probably have never even heard of your country.
Living our own life is our saving grace.
There's no time to make yours a priority.
I pray to stay sharp to not blend in with "them",
Theirs is a club I can't compromise to join.
While they plunder away at each worldly gem,
They exchange their soul for man's coin.
I'll leave you with this promise: I won't be blind.
I won't go deaf to your pain.
I'll do everything I can to leave my "Me-ness" behind,
Not just my prayers, but my efforts, will not wane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you feel for others deeply even those who will never meet in this life.